- Wordplay: Character and Plot—One and The Same Thing? “A player’s character is defined only by his meaningful actions *** The plot is defined only by the actions taken by the players”
- Deciding When to Show and When to Tell ” ‘Show, don’t tell’ is probably the most common advice given to writers. But that’s not the whole story.”
- Writing Fantasy | Start on Page 30: Kicking off your novel A neat trick for those who struggle with writing the first line (and/or chapter) of the story.
- The Bookshelf Muse: First Page Tips from the Pros And for those who are working on their first line and/or chapter, this is a good read.
- Using Trademarked Names “Question: Is it legal to use a Trademarked name such as Facebook in a novel where it is simply a part of the story. For example “Bob made a Facebook account and added many new friends while he was online””
- Author! Author! » Describing your book’s appeal in terms beyond, “Um, well, it’s sort of about this guy…” or, why there’s still no fool like a fool playing hooky Title of the article says it all!
- Superhero Nation » List of Instant Rejections “Here’s a list of submission mistakes that may be instantly fatal to your query or submission letter.”
- Self-Publishing, Yes and No — The Book Designer And the comments on the article are just as interesting as the article itself! Plan on spending at least 20 minutes perusing if you like this debate.